Chocolate Gingerbread Scones
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- coarse sugar (like sugar in the raw)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silpat or lightly grease.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ginger.
- Using a fork or pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the chocolate chips and stir with a fork just to mix them in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the molasses, egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir lightly and quickly with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface. Divide the dough in half and pat the dough into 2 circles of equal size. Use a knife and cut each circle into 8 equal pieces.
- Transfer the scones to baking sheets. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle heavily with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes.
Recipe by The Happy Housewife™ :: Cooking at https://test.thehappyhousewife.com/cooking/chocolate-gingerbread-scones/