Easy Lemon Rosemary Scones
These Easy Lemon Rosemary Scones are deliciously simple for breakfast or brunch.
For the Dough
- 1 cup flour
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup milk
For the Glaze
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with a layer of parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, lemon zest (set aside juice for a later step), rosemary, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Use a fork or pastry blender to cut in the butter. The mixture will resemble crumbly lumps.
- Add the lemon juice and milk and stir gently until the dough forms a very loose ball. It won’t all come together in a smooth ball, but resist adding more liquid. It will be fine in the next step.
- Move dough and any scraps from the bowl to the baking sheet and work the dough gently to form a rounded loaf. You don’t need to knead the dough. You just want to gather it all together into a mounded loaf.
- Divide the loaf into 8 wedges with a floured knife. Do not cut all the way through the bottom.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 375 until golden brown.
- While it’s baking, combine the ingredients for the glaze. Stir well until all powdered sugar lumps are gone.
- When the scones are finished, let them cool 5 minutes, glaze, and allow them to cool another 10 minutes. Serve them warm or cold.
Tips about dry dough: Scones are a lot less moist than most quick breads. They’re very much like light biscuits. If you’re working the dough and it doesn’t come together, you can add a teaspoon of water or milk and work it in gently with your hands. You don’t want to work it to the point where the butter begins to melt from the warmth of your hands. This will not be good for the flaky consistency of your scones.
Recipe by The Happy Housewife™ :: Cooking at https://test.thehappyhousewife.com/cooking/easy-lemon-rosemary-scones/