Red Pepper Chicken Sausage Pasta Bake
- 4 links, red pepper chicken sausage
- 1 box (about 13 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (9 to 10 ounces) bag frozen spinach (or fresh)
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the pasta noodles, and cook according to package directions. Then drain.
- Slice the chicken sausage into thin rounds and place them in a large skillet.
- Saute the chicken sausage with minced garlic, onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil if needed.
- Add in the canned tomatoes (undrained) and tomato sauce.
- Stir in the basil and oregano.
- Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- Toss in the spinach (either fresh or frozen), and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer the sauce for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish or a 3 quart casserole with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Add the rinsed and drained pasta to the tomato sauce mixture and stir to blend.
- Pour in the half and half. Stir well.
- Transfer the pasta to the baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned.
To freeze: Prepare as directed, except do not bake. Instead, cover tightly with foil and freeze. Place the frozen casserole in a cold oven, and then turn the oven on to 400 degrees. Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Then remove the cover and continue baking for 30 minutes until the cheese is browned and the dish is warmed throughout.
Recipe by The Happy Housewife™ :: Cooking at https://test.thehappyhousewife.com/cooking/red-pepper-chicken-sausage-pasta-bake/